Everytime we go to my in-laws it feels like a weekend escape to a bed and breakfast. My father-in-law cooks up meats that literally melt in your mouth and my mother-in-law creates amazing appetizers and desserts. We spend hours around the table chatting and playing board games. Basically we RELAX. It feels so nice not to have to cook and clean and stress over our to-do list for once.
But one of the best parts of our weekend escape to our in-laws is the awesome breakfast! My in-laws go out of their way to make breakfasts that taste as delicious as they look (see pic above!). I’m always stunned at how good the brunch is and I never ever want to leave. Today I’m sharing my mother-in-laws’s fantastic french toast recipe. You should definetely try it next weekend :)
Micheline’s French Toast
- dash of vanilla extract
- dash of cinnamon
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1 teaspoon Grand Marnier (optional, any cognac will do)
- thick crusted white bread
- fresh fruit
- maple syrup (optional)
- Beat the eggs, milk, and cinnamon together and add the cognac if you’re using. Whisk and pour into a shallow bowl.
- Dip each slice of bread into the mixture and allow the bread to absorb some of it.
- Melt butter in a large skillet on medium-high heat and add as many slices of bread as the skillet will allow. Flip the bread occasionally and remove and serve when the bread has turned a nice golden brown.
- Serve with maple syrup and fresh fruit (I especially like it with strawberries, bleuberries and bananas)